Let’s talk about chocolate and coconut….
I enjoy but rarely make ‘macaroon-type’ things – you know, stuff with shredded coconut. I don’t know why, but my first instinct would probably be to make my collagen cookie dough protein bites for the eighty-billionth time (they’re just so tasty!). Having made these delicious coconut protein bars, though, I may just have to permanently expand my repertoire.
These coconut protein bars with dark chocolate & sea salt were devised as a result of my search for more, varied recipes to add collagen powder to. The bars combine the lovely, satisfying, exceptionally chewy and fibre-rich qualities of organic shredded coconut with collagen powder, maple syrup, coconut oil, and melted dark chocolate with a sprinkle of sea salt. If you own a saucepan and can stir things with a spoon, you should be able to make these.
Oh yes, they were tasty
Full disclosure, though, the photo is a stock image. They represent what my bars aspired to be, but, because of numerous, legitimate factors, were not able to be. These numerous, legitimate factors included the winter that would never end and the lack of natural light accompanying it (without natural light my photos are just depressing), and, perhaps more critically, a lack of actual bars to photograph because they went Down. The. Hatch. in short order. I couldn’t just photograph an empty plate.
But aside from being camera-shy, I did taste test these on my significant other, who has been known to refer to certain other of my health food bars as “dirt bars” and is therefore my target picky audience. He chewed and pondered a moment, and then said (and I quote): I really like these.
Folks, need I say more?
Key Ingredients & Vibrant Nutrition:
- Coconut: lots of healthy saturated fats and a great source of fibre, include prebiotic fibre which helps feed the garden of your gut! We all could benefit from seeking out sources of prebiotics.
- Dark Chocolate: anti-oxidants, magnesium, iron
- Collagen powder: good for your skin & gut, full of health-supportive amino acids and protein
Coconut Protein Bars with Dark Chocolate & Sea Salt (gf, paleo)
- Recipe Notes: gluten-free, grain-free, dairy-free, egg-free, naturally-sweetened
- 2 cups organic shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup maple syrup or raw honey
- 1/3 cup collagen peptides/collagen powder
- 1-2 tablespoons coconut flour (to help absorb some of the liquid)
- For the topping:
- 1/2 – 1 cup dark chocolate (your favourite kind – the darker the better!)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- good quality Himalayan pink salt or sea salt
- In a small bowl, whisk together shredded coconut, coconut flour, and collagen powder.
- In a small saucepan, melt together coconut oil and maple syrup.
- Once melted, add shredded coconut mix and stir until thoroughly combined.
- Scoop mix into desired pan – 8×8 was a bit too big, but you can shape these to fill just part of the pan. That’s what I did.
- Chill in the fridge until firming up.
- Slice into squares or bars, as per your desired size, or leave whole so you can ice the whole thing.
- Heat dark chocolate and coconut oil over a double boiler (a heat-proof bowl sitting over a saucepan with simmering water) until fully melted and combined.
- Either dip your pre-cut bars into the chocolate to coat them (and then set them on a baking sheet lined with wax paper or a silicon mat) or pour chocolate over bars to cover them.
- Place back into fridge until chocolate has hardened.
- Sprinkle with sea salt and enjoy!
© Emily Joldersma, R.H.N. Eat Well, Live Vibrantly