In my opinion, January isn’t the month for perfection. It’s the month for comfort and coziness.
I mean, there are definitely good things about January: the days are getting longer, you feel inspired to set goals, and the year is fresh with possibility. At certain times, you want to dance with delight because the year ahead holds so much promise and positivity and you’re so happy about the changes you’re planning to make or are already making.
But sometimes January is really hard too. It’s a long month, it’s usually cold and grey (certainly here in Ontario, although today it’s raining, what?), and while the days might be getting longer, it’s still dark A LOT (especially when my alarm goes off, and waking up in the dark is not exactly something that I find boosts my mental and emotional health).
So even though I have nutrition goals and changes I’d like to keep working on, and I have business plans and life plans that I’m excited about, I still also want to be cozy and comfortable and enjoy warming beverages and eat healthy, comforting foods.
And one of the most beautiful things about whole-foods nutrition is the capacity for making glorious, luxurious, delicious comforting foods that ALSO have so many health-boosting and body-nourishing properties.
Like this quality hot chocolate! Nothing says cozy like hot chocolate (if you’re looking for one with iron-boosting properties, try this fortifying recipe with molasses).
It’s made with hormone-supporting, nourishing, full-fat coconut milk, almond or other non-dairy milk, raw cacao, collagen powder (optional if you’d like to make it entirely plant-based, though note that the collagen gives this hot chocolate its protein-boost and gut-healing properties), and your choice of sweetener.
You could also add maca powder, which is powerful for hormone-balancing and energy, and some cinnamon, which has blood-sugar balancing properties. Also try whisking in some MCT oil: medium-chain triglycerides are a type of saturated fatty acid (coconut oil, for example, is more than half comprised of medium-chain triglycerides) that can support cognition and brain power, promote healthy weight, and provide the body with sustained energy.
This recipe is creamy and comforting, and it’s a way of building cozy warmth into my evenings, or even my mornings. All of that packed in a single mug of hot chocolate. That’s nutrient-dense living, that’s bringing pleasure into whole-food eating, AND that’s embracing cozy January living.
Rich and Creamy Collagen Hot Chocolate with Raw Cocao – Gut Supporting, Comforting, Paleo
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- 1/4 cup full-fat coconut milk (organic, from a can)
- 1 teaspoon – 1 tablespoon raw cacao powder (depending on your chocolate preferences)
- 1 tablespoon collagen powder/peptides (the best quality and source you can find)
- 1 teaspoon raw honey or maple syrup, or, 2-3 drops of organic stevia
- optional: 1 teaspoon maca powder
- optional: 1 tablespoon MCT oil
- Warm milks in a saucepan over medium-low heat until just reaching a gentle simmer.
- Remove from heat and whisk in collagen powder, raw cacao, sweetener, and maca powder/MCT oil, if using.
- If you want it really frothy, feel free to blend in your blender or use an immersion blender (taking caution, because it’s hot). Otherwise, just whisk it all up.
- Pour into your favourite cozy mug and enjoy!
© Emily Joldersma, R.H.N. Eat Well, Live Vibrantly