Sometimes I write posts about a recipe before I’ve actually tested the recipe. It’s true. I admit it.
It’s risky, because sometimes it means I’ll test something, realize it’s not nearly as good as I’d hoped, and then remember I have an entire post already written that waxes eloquent about how delicious it is.
On the other hand, sometimes I wrote a post beforehand, whip up the recipe, and realize I’ve made something that is everything I’d hoped for and more.
Such is the case with these macaroons. Good consistency, excellent chocolatey-ness, and a perfect amount of chew. I’m no macaroon aficionado, but as far as treats go, these are just dandy. The macaroons have a tropical sweetness that feels really luxurious and special thanks to the coconut and coconut milk, and they also contain melted dark chocolate.
All in all, they’re perfect for an evening backyard party, a casual Sunday curled up with a book and some tea, or perhaps bringing to your workplace to share (if you like your work colleagues, that is).
Also, since there is no harm in mentioning it, coconut contains lots of fibre, beneficial medium-chain fatty acids, and natural sweetness, while dark chocolate has antioxidants, and a fair amount of iron. Oh, and did I mention the maca powder? Helpful for sustained energy levels, bringing hormone systems into balance, and improving libido, maca also has antioxidant capabilities, beneficial fatty acids, fibre, and amino acids.
Vegan Chocolate Maca Macaroons
- Author: Emily Joldersma, R.H.N. tweaks, but original recipe from Terry Walter’s fabulous cookbook “Clean Start“
- Recipe Notes: vegan, gluten-free, nut-free, soy-free, naturally sweetened, grain-free
- 2 cup shredded coconut
- 3 tbsps cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon maca powder (optional, but a nice superfood addition)
- 1/3 cup coconut milk (full-fat)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt (or other sea salt)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips, melted
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a large bowl, stir together coconut, maca powder, cocoa powder, and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together coconut milk, maple syrup, and vanilla.
- Melt dark chocolate chips over a double boiler (a heat-proof bowl sitting on top of a pot with simmering water).
- Add coconut milk mixture and dark chocolate to shredded coconut. Mix well.
- Once incorporated, scoop by tighly-packed, rounded tablespoon-fulls onto a baking sheet.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until the tops of the cookies are dry.
© Eat Well, Live Vibrantly
7 responses to “Vegan Chocolate Maca Macaroons (gluten-free)”
yumm these look scrumptious!!
Thanks so much! They reminded me a lot of the haystacks my dad used to make growing up. 🙂
LikeLiked by 1 person
You had me concerned with your lead in that my macaroons fell into the wrong category! Could you hear my sigh of relief when I read on and discovered that they were deemed dandy? Phew! Glad you enjoyed and hope you’re enjoying other CLEAN START recipes. Have you seen my latest book, Eat Clean Live Well?
Yes! I have seen it! And truthfully, Terry, I’ve made many of your recipes and never had a fail yet. I think they’re brilliant. Thanks for commenting!
[…] could also add maca powder, which is powerful for hormone-balancing and energy, and some cinnamon, which has blood-sugar […]
[…] Vegan GF Chocolate Maca Macaroons […]
[…] powder to. The bars combine the lovely, satisfying, exceptionally chewy and fibre-rich qualities of organic shredded coconut with collagen powder, maple syrup, coconut oil, and melted dark chocolate with a sprinkle of sea […]