A quick glance outside tells me that most, if not all, of the beautiful yellow, orange, and red leaves that used to be on the trees are now on the ground. This is the next phase of Autumn – when the air becomes a bit sharper with that note of winter, you have to dig into the closet for your hats and scarves, the idea of spending the afternoon reading in your jammies with a cup of tea seems more appealing than basically anything else in the world (except for going for long walks outside), and you can’t wait to bake something with cinnamon, apples, pecans, and oats.
These muffins contain apples in two forms: diced up in the batter, and also as applesauce. They have a ribbon of cinnamon, oats, and pecans in the middle and a similar streusel on top, and they are wheat-free, vegan, and made with coconut oil and coconut palm sugar.
I recommend using a nice tart apple like a Granny Smith or Gala, to add a pop of juicy flavour that will stand against the cinnamon and pecans. I also recommend going wild and trying this as a quick bread or mini loaves. And if you are feeling particularly indulgent, try making an cinnamon butter with cinnamon and Earth Balance.
So what’s my plan for this Autumn day? Heading on a long nature walk, in which I plan to kick some leaves in the air and laugh while the dog chases them, and then return to make a mug of dandelion tea (my favourite) and enjoy a muffin. Throw in a comfy pair of tights, a good novel, and a pot of soup simmering on the stove, and I think I’ll have found my Autumn bliss.
Vegan Apple Cinnamon Muffins with Pecan Oat Streusel
- Author: Emily Joldersma, R.H.N.
- Recipe Notes: wheat-free, vegan, refined sugar-free
- 1 3/4 cups light spelt flour
- 1/4 cup chickpea flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1 cup organic applesauce
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup almond or soy milk
- 3/4 cup coconut palm sugar (or other organic sugar)
- 1 tablespoon fancy molasses (optional)
- 1 cup diced apple (about 1 medium size apple)
- FOR STREUSEL:
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon coconut palm sugar
- 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Lightly grease or line your muffin baking tin of choice.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together spelt flour, chickpea flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
- In a separate small bowl, mix together applesauce, rolled oats, and almond milk. Let stand for 5 minutes, then add coconut palm sugar, melted coconut oil, and optional molasses. Whisk until completely combined.
- Stir together wet and dry ingredients. When almost fully combined, stir in diced apple. Do not over mix.
- Once batter is prepared, make streusel: stir together rolled oats, coconut palm sugar, and cinnamon, then add melted coconut oil and mix well. Finally, stir in chopped pecans.
- Fill each muffin tin about halfway and add a sprinkle of streusel filling. Top with another tablespoon or two of batter, and sprinkle additional streusel on top.
- Bake for approximately 22 minutes, or until the muffin springs back when gently pressed with your finger.
- Let cool, and store in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer (these freeze very nicely).
Looking for some other November baking suggestions? Try banana espresso scones, sweet potato pie, or kale and barley salad.
© Eat Well, Live Vibrantly